HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

ANOTHER GOOD NIGHT

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DUANE
Admin

PostSubject: ANOTHER GOOD NIGHT   Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:05 pm

Karl and i returned to our new darksite on Tuesday night.As i was setting up and waiting for Karl to arrive a lady from a neighboring farm close by ask me as she walked past if i was taking photographs,i informed her that i was an Amateur Astronomer.
She stood while i finished setting up then Karl arrived and introductions were made,her name been Jane.She asked if when it was dark if she could come back and have a look through the two scopes to which we very much agreed.
As the skies darkened,we both started surveying the heavens,first Jupiter showing three of the Gallilean moons Ganymede to the far left,Io very close to the giant planets left side,and Callisto to the far right,Europa the fourth moon was hidden behind Jupiter.
Features on the planet Jupiter showed a dark northern band and to the south three fainter ones,no G.R.S. was visible at this time.I used a 40mm plossl at 50x for this observation.
Just then Jane returned and both Karl and i got down to showing her Jupiter which when she saw the jovian family she was blown away by the sight in the eyepiece.Karl showed her one or two of his own personal favourites like the smiling face in the lower half of Auriga.When he showed her Venus she was surprised at how bright it actually was through the eyepiece.
I then showed her the 5 day old Moon and she was amazed at the fine detail she could see,especially the craters and mountains,telling her to look where the Terminator was she could pick out shadows in some other craters making a vast contrast to the ones in the illuminated side.
I showed her m.42 the Great Orion Nebula and she just could not believe her eyes.Karl explained to her about the four stars in the Trapezium,and what why and how they were there.
Karl showed Jane the Hyades,then pointed out the plieades and the story behind them.Then he moved on to M.31 and told her what was going to happen between it and our very own Milky Way in 4.5 billion years time which seemed to amuse her somewhat.
I then showed her Sirius through my CPC 800 just to let her see the different colors produced by a hot star.Jane enjoyed been shown the Milky Way as i pointed it out and the direction it appeared in the sky.Karl showed her the double cluster in Perseus which Jane said looked really nice against the backdrop of an almost dark sky (except for the Moon).
I explained to her as i pointed out the relative Constellations the story about Perseus saving the fair maiden Princess Andromeda by flying to rescue her on the winged horse Pegasus.Explainig that Cassiopeia was Andromeda's mother,who angered the Goddess Hera saying her daughter was prettier than Hera herself.So Hera sent the sea monster which in the heavens is depicted by Cetus the whale.
Jane remarked that it was a fascinating story.
Karl then showed her M.95-M96 in Leo,when we told her how far away these two Galaxies were she was totally blown away.
With Jane been a Virgo like myself Karl showed her the begining of Virgo begining to rise over the Eastern horizon behind us.
Jane herself pointed out the asterism of the plough so i pointed out the individual stars making up the plough.
One fantastic sight all three of us were very lucky to see was a -5 fireball travelling due south between the Plieades and the planet Venus.Jane was very excited at this as it was the first one she had ever seen as bright as that.
After that Jane thanked us both very much and left to go home.I gave her a card because both her and her son are interested in Astronomy.She said she would ring us when he came home from uni,hopefully might get a night's observing in.
Finally Karl and i looked at M.3,i then spotted a faint meteor mag 4-or 5 heading due south btween Perseus and Cassiopeia.An excellant night was had by all.
We then packed up our gear and leaving our two deckchairs out watched Jupiter setting in a moonlit sky slowly sinking behind the far Western hills.

Duane.
Back to top Go down

ANOTHER GOOD NIGHT
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1